Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"I invented my life by taking for granted that everything I did not like would have an opposite, which I would like." ~Coco Chanel
Dress, hot pink tights, black polka dot tights: Target
Flats: Payless
Necklace: Forever 21 or was it Charlotte Russe?
To celebrate my birthday I spend a few hours in a "new to me"' art museum. This is a tradition I began several years ago. The art museums are getting further and further away. Something I didn't think about when I began this tradition, but I love it and look forward to it every year anyway! This year I went to the Speeed Art Museum in Lousiville, KY (www.speedmuseum.org) found smack dab in the middle of University of Louisville's campus. Alice Neel's piece titled Priscilla Johnson stuck with me. (http://www.speedmuseum.org/collection/contempgsclpt/1980_14.html) Maybe it's her haunting look. I really loved a contemporary piece that was large with a navy back ground, one large white circle, and one yellow cirlce; however, I can't find the details online and I didn't write down the info. Boo!
This dress is black with a hot pink lining. The black layer has little holes so the hot pink shows through. So my matchy matchy brain when crazy when I realized I had hot pink tights that I could layer with black polka dot tights and create the opposite pattern of my dress. (This also helped to calm down my "look at me" hot pink tights!)
Stopped at http://www.theflyingcupcakebakery.com/ to round out the whole "bday" experience. Two cupcakes in one week! Good thing birthdays only come around once a year!

1 comment:

  1. What a cool tradition and birthday gift! And finishing off a great day with a cupcake? Brilliant!

    Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! I'm so glad you did, so that I could find your blog...especially your cute doggie!

    I love your dress; just the right amount of sparkle.

    ReplyDelete